Are you craving something hot and wholesome this morning? Here is a plant-based, gluten-free alternative to one of America’s favorite breakfasts. Yes, you read that sentence right. One of your childhood favorites has been reinvented so that it fits in with your vegan diet. You can enjoy the food and the trip down memory lane without feeling guilty about anything.
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups very fine almond flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground flaxseeds
- 2/3 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup dairy-free cheese, grated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Gravy
- 6–8 button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
- Spray coconut oil into the biscuits tin (a muffin tin will do too), then sprinkle each cup with almond flour to coat evenly. This will prevent the biscuits from sticking to the tin.
- Add the almond flour, cornstarch, flaxseeds, baking soda, baking powder, yeast and salt into the food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients and 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese and process to obtain a batter (it shouldn’t be very thick).
- Scoop it into the biscuits tin, sprinkle with the rest of the grated dairy-free cheese, and bake for 20 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on the cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- While the biscuits are baking, prepare the gravy.
- Heat the avocado oil into a cast iron skillet, and add the mushrooms, onion and cloves.
- Cook for 7 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are cooked and all their juices evaporate.
- Add the sage, vegetable broth, mustard, coconut cream and almond milk, bring to boil, then simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of the mushroom slices into a bowl, and use a hand blender to turn the rest of the mushrooms and liquid into a cream.
- Put back the mushroom slices into the skillet and stir to combine.
- Cut the biscuits into halves and place their bottom halves onto a plate.
- Cover with mushroom gravy, then top with the other halves.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.
- Category: Snacks
Keywords: vegan biscuits and gravy, vegan keto dinner, keto biscuits