A Taste Of The Mediterranean Served Up Fresh For you
This low-carb plant-based vegan keto falafel bowl is packed with goodness, the tasty herbed superfood falafel mixture combined with the strong fresh mediterranean flavors of the salad is just yum. Make sure you’re sharing, this dish is more filling than it looks!
Origins of Falafel Bowl
Many middle eastern cultures claim the falafel as their own, (why wouldn’t you) so i’m not about to join that argument. Instead… here’s an Israeli song released in 1958. “Ve-Lanu Yesh Falafel.” (“And we have falafel.”)Ahem…Every child knows that macaroni is Italian.The Austrians in Vienna have tasty schnitzeland the French eat frogs …And we have falafel, falafel, falafel,a present for Dad,even Mum buys it here,for old Grandma we’ll buy half a portion.And today even the mother-in-law will get falafel, falafel,with lots and lots of peppers.
How Easy Is This Recipe To Make?
The most fiddly part is forming the falafel into patties, I find falafel prep quite relaxing…as long as i’m not in a rush.
Will This Recipe Break The Vegan Keto Bank?
We prefer all organic ingredients for this recipe, so it is quite costly – but the increased flavor and health benefits are so worth it.
Keto Falafel Bowl Secret Tip
These also make a great finger food snack. You can make them into mini falafel balls, and blitz the avocado with the tahini dressing to use as an awesome guacini dip!
Food Processor, glass lidded jar, and baking tray.
The fat content of the sunflower seeds is tops for when you’re in one of those ‘fill me up’ moods. You’ll feel satiated for longer thanks to all the healthy oils in this tasty dish too.Print
This falafel bowl is packed with goodness, the tasty herbed superfood falafel mixture combined with the strong fresh mediterranean flavors of the salad is just yum. Make sure you’re sharing, this dish is more filling than it looks!
For the falafel
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
For the tahini sauce
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- To assemble:
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the falafel ingredients into a food processor and pulse to obtain a uniform mixture with all the ingredients finely chopped and wet enough to form a dough.
- Scoop the dough into little balls and line them on the baking sheet.
- Flatten them just a little using your fingers, to obtain a falafel shape.
- Bake for 15 mins, then flip upside down and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, assemble the bowls by evenly dividing the fresh ingredients, and prepare the tahini sauce by mixing the tahini and lemon juice in a lidded jar.
- Remove the falafel patties from the oven and add them on top of the bowls.
- Shake the tahini jar well to combine, and drizzle the sauce over the falafel.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: Dinners
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 647
- Fat: 41.5
- Carbohydrates: 18.9
- Protein: 31
Keywords: Vegan Keto Falafel Bowl